Grodno Zoo, the first in Belarus, has always been a favorite vacation spot of Grodno. This zoo is showing animals like the caspian red deer, moos, tajik markhor, dybowsky deer, kulan, corsac fox, snow leopards, jaguars, persian leopards, amur tiger, cape genet and zebras
Last visit 2014
ul. Timiryazev 11
Phone nr (0152) 77 28 86
Open minimum 9.30am-4pm
Adult 6,50 BYR
Child 4,50 BYR
History of Grodno zoo began with a group of enthusiasts from the Society of Lovers of nature led by Ian Kokhanovsky - Biology teacher in the gymnasium named after Adam Mickiewicz . On his initiative in 1926 to charity funds in the park (now park them. Gilbert ) for educational purposes has been created a botanical garden. For the academic year 1927-1928 was added to the garden among other departments zoological, which originally contained 17 species of local fauna. After the expansion of the garden was called biological garden and became active students attending educational institutions of Grodno. The number of exhibits in the zoological department increased, they had neither the space nor the premises. In this regard, Jan Kochanowski, along with other nature lovers made from municipal government transfer zoological department at the abandoned urban cycling track. After the relevant construction works zoological department moved from the park to the new location and became known biological garden. This area belongs to the park now. Was appointed head of a retired colonel Adamovich. Until 1936 the zoo had about 400 animals of various kinds, among which should be noted species such as leopard, lion, wisent. Zoo content was carried out by the charity, with the help of the Society of Lovers of nature and with the participation of the city magistrate. The fall of 1937 the city was purchased for the zoo plot of 0.4 ha. In 1939, with the union of Western Belarus and the Byelorussian SSR zoo moved to the content of the state. The collection continued to grow and by 1941 Grodno zoo has become one of the centers of cultural, scientific and educational life of the city. During the war, the zoo has suffered enormous damage: buildings were destroyed or damaged, looted collection. Valuable and rare specimens were taken to the zoo Konigsberg (modern Kaliningrad in Russia), the rest destroyed. Jan Kochanowski refused to evacuate and stayed in Grodno. After the murder of the German physician participants resistance, the Gestapo arrested about 100 representatives of local intellectuals, among whom was Jan Kochanowski. At the request of the public release of the arrested, the Gestapo chief said that the shot will be only 25 people out of 100, and the rest released. These 25 people hit each Jan Kochanowski, teacher Vyavyurski Joseph, father of six children. Kochanowski Gestapo chief offered exchange - his life in exchange for the freedom of Jozef Vyavyurskamu. In June 1942, Jan Kochanowski was shot. After the liberation of the city in July 1944, the zoo has practically ceased to exist. However, the country was restored, and Belarus USSR adopted a resolution number 470 of August 15, 1944 "On the reopening of sanctuaries and zoos." To restore a single at the time of the zoo in the country December 12, 1944 Executive Committee Grodno city council decides № 242 "On the reconstruction of the zoo in the city. Grodno" that determined the transfer of the former territory of the zoo and building materials. And as the updating of the collection of animals "to oblige the Trust Director green building zoo pass two donkeys". Headed the zoo while former senior warden Benedict Kupriyanovich Zyromski. In 1945, the collection consisted of five pieces - two donkeys, two deer and a peacock. Since the collection has grown, showing many exotic animals only shown here in Belarus. On August 30, 1955, an Indian elephant entered the Grodno Zoo for the first time from Vietnam. Together with the elephant, our Vietnamese friends brought two Chinese alligators. The ceremonial transfer of animals turned into a celebration with the participation of the city's residents. In the 60s - 80s, there was an intensive growth of the collection. In 1960, the collection consisted of 101 species of animals, in 1972 it exceeded 215 species, and in 1989 it reached 326. In the 90s, the zoo experienced great difficulties: old buildings were dilapidated, modern premises for keeping animals were not built. With the collapse of the Soviet Union, cooperation between zoos of the former USSR was disrupted, which led to the loss of the opportunity to acquire new animals. The current stage of development of the Grodno Zoo began in 2002 with the decision of the Grodno Regional Executive Committee on the reconstruction of the zoo. The area of the zoo increased by 1.9 hectares and amounted to 5.35 hectares. By 2008, the following were built and put into operation: a hoofed house, an interscotch, premises for small carnivorous mammals, aviaries for mountain ungulates, birds of prey, wolves, lynxes. In 2009, at the reporting conference of EARAZA, held in Kiev, the State Institution of Culture "Grodno Zoological Park" was accepted as a full member of the Euro-Asian Regional Association of Zoos and Aquariums.
After paying the entrance fee are we having a parots house to the right with cockatoos and macaws. Out side again we then se the Bactrian camel, the wisent and yak. Across are deers like the altai mahral and the roe deer. Its followed by the pig house, with peacaries and different kind of domestic pigs. Now we have reached the carnivore corner, on the right are wolves and on the left several aviaries for larger cats like lions, couga´rs and Amur tigers. Oposite is the house for small carnivores like the coati and the meerkat. Going up the stairs we are having the larger bears like the brown bear and the Asian black bear. Passing the old elephant house we are reaching the monkey house. The strangest fellowship there is the rabbit living together with a patas monkey. Els there are several macaqua species in this house. Oposite we find the childrens zoo and aviaries for Belarusian birds of prey as well as the turkey vulture. Next is the bird house with crowened cranes and the Eurasian bittern among others. The worlds largest bird is the ostrich following, in this area we also find the wallabies. Behind it is a pheasantry. The smell comes from behind, where we find foxes like the red fox and the corsac fox. More in to water fowl? Then you might like the followin aviary and 2 akes full of them. This leeds us in between birds of prey to the right and mountain goats to the left. In front of us i now the ungulate house, home to the the wildebeest, nilgai as well as kulans,just to mention som. The only house we are going to enter is the last area, its the terrarium with snakes, turtles and other reptiles.
DE: Dies ist der älteste Zoo des landes und zeigt auch die meisten seltenheiten wie Kulane, Nilgau und Altai Mahrale. Er verfügt auch über ein kleines Terrarium
DK: Dette er den ældste zoo i landet og viser ligledes de fleste sjældenheder som kulaner, nilgai antiloper og Altai Mahral. I haven er der desuden et lille terrarie