This interesting zoo covering 16,5 ha ha a broad range of animals like the dikdik's, persian fallowdeer and the Asian lion. On its ground you also finde an interesting aquarium
In what is now the Zoological Gardens and neighboring areas, even in the nineteenth century a vast forests grew. This was the favorite target for Sunday trips for picnics and outdoor fun. For several generations workers came here (especially from plants Lodz and Poznan) , then it was called "the health". In 1906, the green area has been included in the administrative boundaries of Lodz. After World War I began work on developing the devastated areas of the forest. In particular, much has been done to the green city in the years 1927-1934. In 1928, the Municipal Council established a Plantation Department, under direction of Stephen Rogowicz (1891-1946). He is the originator of many measures to improve the health conditions of Lodz. Revision of construction or reconstruction projects of many parks in the city, were created pleasure gardens and allotments. Extensive green areas, known as the Polesie Konstantynowskim, with an area of 260 ha has been designed as a complex for special purpose. As part of the envisaged 20 hectares where layed out as a zoo. Assumptions of the Zoological Gardens were specifically developed in 1932 (planned 20 ha). Two concepts of the location of the garden in this period competed with each other . The first assumed the creation of gardens in the forest "the health", the second - in the park of Lagiewniki Poniatowski. Eventually, the first location won, drawn by S. Rogowicz. In 1934, the area designated for the zoo made a part of the forest park. In 1937 it developed the technical documentation of the area of the zoo. The plan was carried out in the second half of 1938, this fact dates back to the beginnings of the zoo's history. The first inhabitant of the zoo was a red deer called Borut, who came to the city center and was caught on the square Reymont. Some red deer where transported from the park Poniatowski. In the summer of 1939 the zoo had 50 pieces (such as a red deer, roe deer, fallow deer, sheep, ducks). During the war F. Hase was director of the zoo , and director of the Lodz slaughterhouse. Officially, the garden was available only for the Germans, but not complied with the order in practice. In 1940 it got zoo animals from a defunct zoo of the Anstattów brothers, owners of the brewery (in the park Helenow).1941 animals were purchased from the circus Hergotta, including: a camel, brown bears, wolves, lions, an elephant , a tiger, donkeys, a hyena, owls. During the war the zoo built many buildings, some survived to this day. From this period are: the concrete barred cages for bears, stables for ungulates, a restaurant, the entrance building, enclosure for baboons (modernized in 1953) At the end of 1944, the zoo had approximately 550 speciements in 117 species. After the liberation, just as before the war, the zoo was the agenda of the Faculty Plantation Municipal Board. S. Rogowicz returned to the position he held previously. He died on 23.XII.1946 In the early 50's garden was increased by 7 ha, resulting in a need to shift Krzemieniecki street to the southwest. Subsequent years, 1953 - 1957, a period of rapid development of the garden. A number of modernization. Here are some of them: Modernized enclosure for baboons, it was enlarged by 300m2 , expanded interior room for baboons and hidden them behind a rock wall. Remodeled monkey house so that it became a year round housing for monkeys. Built a new cage for pheasants, which in 2002 was demolished and in their place we have a magnificent pavilion "World of Birds". After the old fire a pool was built for sea lions, as well as building with internal pool for winter, on the roof is a terrace. Animals were collected in groups, taking into account their systematic affinity. Created: department of birds, ungulates, carnivores and monkeys. In subsequent years, enclosures for small mammals (1954), an Aquarium (1956) and a vivarium (1956) were built. In 1968 a modern pavilion was put into operation , with a large open outside paddocks for lions, tigers and cheetahs. The garden is proud of many cubs from lions and Siberian tigers. In the 60s the complex for new world camels, new stables for the bison and the wisent, and the building of the aquarium were erected. In 1980, rodents and small mammals of prey were living in the new pavilion. In the early '80s as part of our bears can live in a new enclosure. The first born Himalayan bears. In 1985, the zoo got new sanitations. In 1988 the zoo celebrated its 50th anniversary, by opening a beautiful, modern giraffe house. Residing in the first Lodz giraffes that have bred well ever since. Then came the pens for African wild dogs (1987). Pair AJAKS and ALBA got offspring, something really difficult. In 1988 peccaries came and they reproduce very well and now there is a herd of several dozen individuals. The last twenty years in the history of the Garden is a period of intense improving the living conditions of our animals. In 1991 new stables were built for red deer, kangaroos and Watussi. The restauration of the aquarium tanks(1992) started the breeding of marine organisms. Built two wintering sites for birds (1993 and 1995), which allows some of them to not move from the aviary for the winter. Small predators - meerkats and mongooses living in a small pavillion, where you can watch them all year, also in the inner room, through glass (1996). In 1997, the building for animal quarantine got in use. It also houses the premises of the veterinary clinic. Begins to emerge next to a spacious, modern animal hospital completed in 1999. At the same time, in 1999, finishing construction of a large refrigerator. This investment is a better food storage conditions, and conditions of the warehouse. At the same time end up lasting for many years and carried out in stages, was the restauration of the monkey house. 2001 - We finish another investment - stable for antelope coupled with the exposure of birds. This is the "Southeast Asia" Exhibition of animals native to Asia. In the same year created a range of modern aviary for birds of prey and owls, with an exhibition through glass.
Last visited 2012
Phone number (0-42) 632 75 09
Fax number (0-42) 632 92 90
Address: Miejski Ogród Zoologiczny, ul.Konstantynowska 8/10, 94-303 LÓDŹ, Poland
Open : minimum 9am-3.30pm
For kids: Playgrounds and pettingarea
Food: The Zoo has a places where you can get a snack
Taking photos: Is allowed, if publiciesed, please mention the zoo on your homepage
After have been paying the entrance fee we turn to the right, where there is a small birdhousem home for the Congo Peacock and the sunbittern. Outside again we have a lot of aviarys for pheasants. Then turningleft we see some owls and across some rodents like the mara. Here we turn left again and look at the South American Tapir and after a while the Asian Elephants. Following is a lake area with birds like the pelicans on one side and Sea Lions on the other, turning right passing the Elephants we turn right at the donkeys. Following the road we look at some pigs soon and turn right here to look at som birds of prey. A few meters after we turn left, after looking at the world largest rodent, the Capybara. Now we have reached thw monkey house, most af them have an outdoor cage, for the Lar Gibbons its on the other side of the house (Follow the sign behinde the restricted area). Following the new road we should turn right at the the office of the director, but first go downstairs in to a small aquarium. After the directors office we have son ungulates like the scimtered oryx, zebras and the giraffes. Then its time to look at the predators, first the lion, then some small cats as well as the Amur Tiger. Going along the Bison home in North America, next door is the Wisent, the European counterpart. After a while we are having on the left hand som cages for China Leopards and the turn right, at the first cross we turn left ans soon after left again. On the right hand we have the small terrarium and on the left side see the pecaris and the kangaroos. Back at the tigers we turn right and soon after se the Striped Hyena. On the left hand we soon se two enclosures for the Guanaco and the Vicugna. Then going on to the Cheetah before we at the pelicans lake turn right. On the right hand we have som cages for small carnivores like the lynx and the Fenec. On the left we have several cranes and storks. Here we turn left and see some Indian ungulates, like the Blackbuck Then turn right again, we have on the right hand the Minizoo with a lot of farm animals, like donkeys and goats from Europe and the Alpaca from South America. On the right hand we have the casowary, across of them there is the baboon rock.
DE: Dieser Zoo zeigt einen guten bestand von Tieren, hat ein kleines Aquarium und ein kleines Terrarium. Er hat eine der wenigen Seelöwen des Landes, selten gezeigte China Leoparden und den erst 1936 entdeckten Kongo Pfau
DK: Denne have har en bred samling af dyr, inklusive et lille akvarium og et lille terrarie. Haven holder enaf de få søløvegrupper i Polen, den sjælden viste kinesiske leopard og den først i 1936 opdagede congo påfugl