Vis stort kort
This is rather a botanical garden with a big vivarium, since 1975 though it also has some outdoor aviaries and enclosures for birds
Last visit 2011
D 68165 Mannheim
Open minimum 9am-6.30pm
Annual card (valid for a calender year)
Adult 8,- Euro
Child 4,- Euro
Adult 39,- Euro
Child 15,- Euro
The start of construction of today's Luisenpark in 1886 by the legacy of Professor Carl Fuchs. On the legacy of 20,000 gold marks, he established the requirement for a then-contemporary folk and citizens Park to "benefit the health" of the population of Mannheim. Responsible for planning was the Frankfurt garden architect Franz Heinrich Siesmayer. He created today's "Lower Luisenpark" and designed the 12-hectare park at the Neckar river as landscape park. The first phase of construction created in the years 1892 to 1894, did lay in the then new upper class "east city" embedded and contained, according to Siesmayer design, decorative elements and a restaurant next to a sports field. The area was two years after completion in honor of Grand Duchess Luise of Baden, daughter of Emperor William I., named as "Luisenpark". The 1897 approved by the City Council Park eastward expansion, today's "upper Luisenpark," Siesmayer also planned on a former Neckararm in mostly swampy and unsuitable for residential development considered 20 ha site. The extension should be designed in contrast to the first phase as a forest park with playgrounds and water. The construction work for the implementation were estimated at about 7 years and started in December, 1897. The "Great Art and Horticulture Exhibition" was designed in the eastern park area already back in 1907 and replaced parts of the upper part. Built for the occasion a temporary Palm House was so well received that it was decided during the exhibition to build a solid palm house. The choice of location also fell on the eastern end of the "Upper Luisenpark," in direct connection to the municipal gardens built in 1906. In the mid-1920s, the smaller water areas were filled and a a new, larger pond was excavated in the western part of the "Upper Luisenpark". This "Stretch" in 1927 in honor of the then mayor was named as "Kutzerweiher". On the initiative of Horticulture Director Josef Bußjäger and desire of the population in 1958 not far from the old location of the in the second World War destroyed Palm House a new "plants show house" was build. In the new house also aviaries and aquariums were integrated. In the years 1959 to 1969 a large regional horticultural exhibitions) under the slogan "The Blooming autumn" took place. After the council majority had opted for a Federal Garden Show 1975 (BuGa 75) in Mannheim, today's "Herzogenriedpark" and "Upper Luisenpark" were extended. The first design competition for the park was won by the landscape architect Luis "Boedeker, Boyer, Wagenfeld & Partners'. Ultimately, it was decided for cost reasons, to limit the duty of entering the BuGa area on an area of 42 ha. Until the opening the telecommunications tower was completed that is bordering the Luisenpark. The Kutzerweiher was extendet to 36300 square meter and about 2700 m shoreline, supplemented by an artificial "mountain" with a spring. The area north of the Kutzerweihers was designed by the winning office as a quieter part. The scene near the lake, garden squares, Gondolettas, restaurants like the Palatine wine bar as well as other offers completed the former image. After BuGa 1975, the park developed further. The basic structures of the road network, the area divisions and functions and the spatial character changed little. Through steady growth of plants, especially of the trees, the park appears today, during the growing season, certainly much closer. The plant diversity is reduced due to age in many places, but this was increased in other places. The classic 3400 sq. ft. seasonal flower beds were almost unchanged and two times per year are still being replanted. An existing road near the main entrance of the left hand shows today sculptures and statues in the open air and the founder bennannt honor "Heinrich-Vetter-way". In the area of "mountain stream" was a "Sensarium" with a "hand-and barefoot path" created. Immediately afterward, the "Sound Oasis" was created - a place where you can relax with gentle background music that comes from speakers in the high treetops. In the area near the "Upper Luisenpark" was a "citrus garden" built. Another section was designed as a "garden of medicinal plants". The plants show house was through the establishment of a "butterfly house", a "house for tree ferns" and an exhibition hall made more attractive. So did various bird aviaries and animal enclosures too. Near the "leisure house" was a farm with outdoor enclosures build. End of 2001 was integrated close to the "mountain spring" an original built in the southern Chinese style tea house and an associated garden. The ensemble is currently the largest of its kind in Europe. The main entrance at the Theodor-Heuss-Anlage was enhanced by a new building with till sations, a gift shop and a high-quality gastronomy.
After paying the entrance fee we follow the main road on til we reach the sun-watch. Following are the water liliesand then we go inside the vivarium, look at at tropical plants, cuvier's dwarf caiman and oriental small-clawed otter. In this house we also have an aquarium section, a butterfly house and a terrarium. When go outside again we se some aviarie for cotton-top tamarins. Behinde the house we are having some aviaries for owls, ibis's and parots. Kids here shurely will love the penguins and the coatis. Following the paths we look at tortoises and palm-trees. Following the road on the left hand you can play miniature golf, kids can play at the play grounds and the we look at the farm. This is the home for old german lifestock like the Coburger Fuchsschaf (Coburg fox sheep) and the black forest horse. Following the path behinde we look at the rose garden and then at the chinese garden. Trying to het on the other side of the water we look at at a small steam and the area for iris. Then following is the erica and the rhododentrons. In the big lake following we have waterbirds like the pelican and the flamingo. Then it's time to look at perennial plants. If you like to relax a bit you now can take a trip with the gondoletta. In this area we also have 2 play grounds. Arround the lake we walk towards the restaurant or can take a play of chess. Then its time to look at ferns befor heading to the exit. But before we have to look at the the beautifull citrus plants and medicinal plants
DE: Dieser Park ist eher ein Botanischer Garten, hat in seinem Vivarium aber auch viele Fische. Im Park findet man auch mehrere Volieren für Vögel und einen kleinen Bauernhof.
DK: Denne park der især en botanisk have, har en botanisk have hvor der især hvis fisk. I parken findes der flere volierer for fugle og en lille gård