Region: Grand Est
The Parc Zoologique et Botanique de Mulhouse (12 hectares) is a public zoo and botanical garden. The park was created in 1868 as a romantic landscape garden, funded by industrial philanthropists, with a zoo whose collection included kangaroos, deer and birds. In the war of 1870, however, the park was shut and its animals sold. After it changed hands twice, the city purchased the park in 1893, and it has remained in municipal ownership since. Although heavily damaged during World War II, it was restored by 1950. Today the zoo keeps more than 1200 animals representing 166 species, including 94 species that are rare and endangered, and is dedicated to preserving rare species of plants and animals. It contains many species of tropical birds and monkeys, 400 kinds of iris in spring and 100 cultivars of dahlias in summer, trees shaped into fantastic forms, and a collection of rare and endangered plants that includes Catharanthus from Madagascar (7 taxa), Canary (22 taxa), and Madeira (11 taxa). It also features a garden of the senses for the blind, with signs in braille and plants chosen for their smell and touch. The park is listed by the French Ministry of Culture as one of the Notable Gardens of France.
Last visited 2007
Parc zoologique et botanique
51 rue du Jardin zoologique
F - 68100 Mulhouse
Phone number: 03 69 77 65 65
Opened minimum 10 am - 4 pm
* Famillycards are valid for 2 adults and theire children
For Kids there is a petting area and a playground
Mulhouse Zoo is one of the oldest zoos in France. The Zoo was founded in September 1868 , at the initiative of a group of industrial philanthropists in Mulhouse . On opening day , 6000 people came, despite the heat, discovering the park and enjoying the attractions of the day : a band , a choir, torchlight processions and fireworks .The zoo was then a "people's park" in the words of Charles Thierry-Mieg at the beginning of the project : a place where workers can " combine business with pleasure , instruction in relaxation. The development of intelligence in the body's health". For 10 cents , visitors could stroll , admire animals , hear live music , doing gymnastics , in a pleasant setting. The zoos grounds just concluded , the war of 1870 broke out . The animals where sold and the park did close. It horticulturist Pére GEIGER was entrusted the arrangement of space (earth moving, roads , fences ) and the achievement of plantations . Between 1873 and 1882, creating a botanical garden . By 1885 , the species of trees and shrubs are labeled. In over a century , it grew , evolved , experienced dropouts and successes ... Between 1875 and 1893 , the zoo changed hands twice, first managed by a charitable organization , the Circle Mulhouse , and the it passes into the hands of the Industrial Society of Mulhouse (SIM) , which expands to create the botanical garden. In 1893, the zoo requires a specific management and investment that the SIM can initiate . The City of Mulhouse took charge in exchange for the School of Chemistry , transferred to the SIM . The zoo is growing - it covers 12 acres - and has many improvements. With the resources of the City , the "pit" can be built to accommodate Liseli Bulli and the two other bears donated by the Princess of Hohenlohe , wife of the Statthalter [governor ] of Alsace -Lorraine. In 1896 , electricity gas and a phone is installed and in 1901 , a kiosk hosts concerts and the following year , the restaurant opening and management of the water for seals energize the park. January 1904 : Construction of the basin and romantic plantation trees present remarkable still : red cedar , Cryptomeria Japan , Spruce bicolor , Corylus colurna . In 1908, the inauguration of the electric tram line (without rail) , which connects Place de la République to the new entrance to the zoo , founded the event in more ways than one . The maiden voyage lack of turning to tragedy. In the last descent , the brakes let go and drive the cars at full speed . Luckily , the incident will not harm any ... But elected officials and notables present inside will remember this trip! On the eve of the First World War , the zoo in Mulhouse is rated zoos in France and abroad. But the conflict will lead to a new closing. The animals are scattered , some perish ... In 1939 , the military install a battery of artillery in the zoo . In 1944, the site became a supply base for the French Army. At the end of the conflict , the zoo is devastated . About 600 trees have been felled and there is no road. The renovation will last until 1948 . Among the workers are prisoners of war whom we owe the pens and buildings for addax and deers. In 1950 , the zoo takes its place among the most beautyfull in France . In 1952, the exhibition area of dahlias is created (planting red japanese maple) . In 1956-57 , the development of the Alpine rock garden is made on the advice of Henry Correvon , botanist of Geneva . We also planted Bird's Nest Spruce. From 1965 , the zoo is a real educational dimension . This year the "small school of the zoo" starts , an animation provided by volunteer teachers on Thursdays (when the day was free for students), and then later on Wednesday. These actions marked the birth of the education department , which now hosts 14,000 children per year. In 1966 , signs installed before the enclosures inform visitors of the main characteristics of the animal presented. In 1977, the botanical trail was created. Meanwhile, the zoo is more attractive. For its centennial anniversary in 1968, it adopts a monkey innovative for its time. Young and old come to watch the monkeys swing from vine to vine or climbing a rock ... At that time the association "Friends of the Zoo "plays an important role in providing financial assistance. In twenty years, it will inject more than 2 million francs in several operations: llamas pen , cheetahs , waterbuck , aviarys , cats , turtle pond, turtles ... 1980 marked a turning point: the zoo is a center for research, conservation and breeding of endangered species. The opening of the building of the lemurs is the first concrete action in this direction. Mulhouse Zoo was entrusted with the coordination of conservation programs and hosts of Threatened Animals . Gradually, the Mulhouse Zoo becomes a reference. In 1982 organized the first exhibition of bulbous plants : 38,000 bulbs of tulips , hyacinths and daffodils are planted in the fall , and in 1983 created the exhibition area of the iris (450 varieties bequeathed to the city by WOHLGROTH ) , And many perennials are introduced. In 1990 , the Zoo showed the only yellow -breasted Capuchin outside of Brazil . Following rare primates of South America , the leopards , Siberian tigers , the Grevy's zebra , Asian lions ... Meanwhile , a special effort is given to living animals . In 1989, landscaped enclosures where made, that welcomed cats and are an example in Europe. No more concrete: the space is arranged according to the natural habitat of the animals. Preservation is concerned also with the action of Botany Botanical Conservatory integrated SEVE (Landscaping Services). In 1987, the rock has threatened the flora in Jura and Sundgau in Alsace. It is followed by the establishment in 1991 of the rock sub- Vosges , which highlights many endangered species , and the development of the area which hosts the plants ried Alsace and implementation of a collection of hardy geraniums to the right of the playground. Developments continue in 1996-1997 for the garden of peonies and daylilies , in 2000-2001 for the garden of the senses. 1996-1997: creation of the path of hydrangeas , 1999-200 : creating the garden of grass , 2004-2005 : Building the collection of rhododendrons (planting more than 450 varieties of rhododendrons , 33 varieties of maple trees , 12 varieties ... dogwood and other plants in peat soil ). Today , the Zoological and Botanical Agglomeration community has 1,200 animals in a garden that houses over 3,000 plants. The Ministry of Culture and Communication has awarded the Zoological and Botanical Garden in 2005 . Of the 166 species of animals living here , 94 are threatened. The zoo participates in hundreds of backup programs and collaborates with many scientific projects . " Through Pierre Moisson, director of the zoo of Mulhouse, the zoo has particularly specialized in the conservation of species less popular than the larger species such as gorillas and elephants , in stead it shows tamarins , lemurs and the Capuchins, that are equally important for the survival of the ecosystems! " Meanwhile, more than 200 plant endangered species are presented at the Zoo , they are subject to quarantine backup program and extensive scientific collaborations . Attractive and fun , the park is as informative and full of surprises: blooms, births ... With 335,000 visitors in 2009 , the park is the most visited attraction in the Upper Rhine ... and one of the best zoos in France!
After we have payed the Entrance we follow the road and turn at the 2nd road right and the first animal we meet is the Gret Grey Owl. In the enclosure next to it we meet the Cretan Goat and is the ancestor of the domestic goat. After that we look t the bears, like the Polar Bear and the Brown, as well as some cats like the Palla's cat and the Lynx. The next animal we meet is the Bactrian Deer. On the other side we have the cats like the Sand Cat, the Asian Lion, the Snow Leopard and two subspecies of Leopards. A bit longer down the road we have the enclosure for Amur Tigers. The we look at the Dalmatic Pelicans and behinde that the South American Sea Lion. It's neighbours are the crested gibbons. Ten comming to the birdhouse, with African Penguins in the front and a big aviary with crowend pigeons. Now looking at the Red-necked Wallabys and the Monk Vulture. Now we have reached an area for ungulates, showing the Prairie Bison, the Visayan Spotted Deer and the Addax. Behinde the Bison-house we have the Southern Cassowary as well as some other birds. Following the Addax-enclosure, we see on our eft hand the Bactrian Camel and after that the Vietnamese Sika. After a a while we turn left and have enclosure for Cranes, like the Blue Crane and an aviary for the King Vulture. Passing the Blue Crane again we se a big pond, in wich there is an island for Ringtailedand Ruffed Lemurs. Acruss we have an enclosure for siatungas and next to them the Bharal. Now we reached an are for framanimals like the Llama and the Poitou donkey. Goin to the right, following the lake, we meet Grevy's Zebras. Next we have the monkeyhouse with especially South American monkeys as well as the Tonkean Macaque. Now we look at the Greater Flamingo and afterwards the Vicuna. Then heading right we meet the Cheetah, the Bush Dog and the Maned Wolf. Still folowing the road we se the Socorro Dove as well as other threadent birds. The next stop is the Lemur-house (The zoo shows 12 species) with Sclater's Lemur, Crowned Lemur, Crowned Sifaka, White-collared Lemur and Alaotra Bamboo Lemur. The last stop is complex with macaws and other parots.
DE: Dieser kleine Zoo ist einer der schönsten von Frankreich und ist ein Zoo aber auch Botanischer Garten. Er zeigt seltenheiten wie das Blauschaf, den Prinz Alfred Hirsch, Sifakas, den Tonkean Makak und Weissbartmakis
DK: Måske Frankrigs smukkeste have er denne kombineret zoologisk og botaniske have, der viser særsyn som blåfåret, prins alfred hjort, sifakaer, tonkeans makak og hvidskæget makier.