Zoo Dresden

www.zoo-dresden.de


City: Dresden

Country: Germany

State: North Rhine-Westphalia

 

Opend 1861

 

Species 245


Beeing of Germanys oldest zoos and the first to breed orangutans, it looks back on a long history. The especially shows monkeys and the Fauna of Asia, from the takin to the yellow-throated marten


Vis stort kort
Last visit 2019


Zoo Dresden
Tiergartenstraße 1
D - 01219 Dresden

Germany



http://zootierliste.de/zoosmap.php?showzoo=10000180


Phone nr 0351-478060


Open minimum 8.30am-4.30pm

 

 

Entrance fee

  • Adult 13,- Euro
  • Child 5,- Euro
  • Family * 33,- Euro
*Family tickets are valid for 2 adults and up to 4 children


Annual card 
  • Adult 38,- Euro
  • Child 21,- Euro
  • Family* 83,- Euro
*Family tickets are valid for 2 adults and up to 4 children


Kids will love to pet the goats in the petting area


History:

In December 1855 the "Association for chicken farming " was formed , whose poultry exhibitions were very successful in Dresden. Therefore, in 1859 an area in Ostragehege was permanently rented, also referred to as " Zoologischer experimental garden ". Among the poultry species encountered various birds and mammals, including a monkey and a camel. Proud 21,500 visitors saw the exhibition within seven months. In 1859, was a " Commitee to form a joint stock company for the manufacture of a zoological garden " founded. Saxony- King John, who promoted benevolent with his family, the project, approved the transfer of part of the " royal " Great Garden on the condition that the corporation would succeed in acquiring adjacent fields at the Bürgerwiese. In May 1860, the club took stock of his activities while Commitee and poultry club disbanded.  In addition to the areas described , the complete animal Bestande the poultry was purchased. These were around 39 mammals and 184 birds for the price of 2,500 thalers (3,750 euros). The works designed by the at that time very prestigious horticultural director Peter Joseph (parks), as well as the city architect Carl Adolph Canzler (buildings) went on the 12.8 acre site apace. By the end of 1860, the progress allowed the relocation of the animals in to unopened zoo. Complete had been the heatable monkey house, with 6,200 thalers (9,300 euros) the most expensive construction, the buffalo house , the bear cage, the Owl House and the log cabins for deer. Other animals went to the club as a gift , including a brown bear. In its official opening on 9 May 1861 was the Zoo Dresden the fourth oldest zoo in Germany. The opening day of the holiday fell on Ascension Day, the gates opened at 11 clock. All planned enclosure had been completed on time and busseld with animals like monkeys, bears, deer, wolves, kangaroos, seals, chamois and various bird species. Six days later the Saxon royal couple surveyed the promoted zoo and was very impressed by its design . The first director and master of 12 employees was Frenz Leven, which has been superseded by the qualified pharmacist and passionate scientist Albin Schoepf in the founding year. Schoepf and his family lived in an apartment in the newly completed winter home of the zoo and was himself a shareholder. Honnoring him, the famous elephant " Schöpfi " was later named, who came in 1960 as a baby to Dresden. In the first twelve months of its existence, the zoo had remarkable 160,000 visitors, but was not spared by setbacks. In particular, the financial situation caused problems. Not all shares were sold, but the necessary construction devoured the seed capital. In addition, the first winter already led to several losses in livestock . Some important buildings were built during the first year of existence, 1863/64, the lion house, where in 1864 the first lion birth was celebrated in 1873, the Elephant House. " Lilli", the first elephant of the Dresden zoo, had already arrived in 1863, but lived until the construction of his own house in the winter house. The elephant house remained until its demolition, 1999, on the site of today's leisure complex next to the Africa House. Its former location is now marked by a stone circle. 1875 came the giraffe house. Interestingly Fact: A 1862 built barn building is the oldest, still surviving building of the zoo and it even still has the same function today. The rarely encountered in zoos species listed during this period, among other things Wombats and kangaroos brushes rats.  1873 even a chimpanzee "Mafoka" arrived, she survived 2 years - a long time for those years. The same year an Indian rhino was purchased, the animals was so expensive, that the zoo almost had to close, since the state said no to a financial help. The zoo survived becourse it did take a loan.  From 1878, made ​​so-called Völkerschau (people on show) in the Dresden Zoo station. It was at this time a very popular show exhibitions with people of exotic origin. A leader in this popular sectors was the Hamburg-based company Hagenbeck. The groups were presented in their normal daily life, which was a great sensation at a time without television and magazines. The "primitive" people were led to music and dance, even brought traditional houses and farms with them. The time of Völkerschauen reached to 1934. 1881 died zoo director Albin Schoepf. His son Adolph, previously employed at Hagenbeck in Hamburg as an animal buyer, became his successor. The expansion of the zoo was continued under his direction in the following years. It created the new bird house (1883), the construction of the Monkey House (1887), so urgently needed, the magnificent great concert and society house for 1,000 guests (1892), with which it was connected, the new entrance area. In particular, the monkey house benefited its inhabitants. Besides the small monkey species also chimpanzees  and from 1898 orangutan "Peter" were held here. However, the high level of debt by financing the company house led to significant economic problems. Over the next two decades, therefore, no significant investments were recorded . Then there was the serious illness of Adolph Schoepf, below that, the leading of the zoo suffered until his death in May 1909. For a whole year the Dresden Zoo was without a director, to Prof. Dr. Gustav Brandes, previously director of the zoo in Halle, on 1 July 1910 took over this office. With the new leader and through various support packages through city and Savings largely secured finance the construction process also revived. This was especially through the towering rocky landscape for the big cats (accessible again since 2005), and a seals pond. The famous rose garden was created in 1911. During the First World War 1914-18 the Dresden Zoo had to contend with considerable problems. The financial position got bad; increasing difficulties in obtaining food occurred . Some valuable species such as the rare oryx or the sea lions could not be kept longer. After the end of the war, in which there had been no damage to the buildings, new enclosures have been build again. 1920, the large aviary for birds of prey was built, which is still to be found in the zoo today. The generosity of the aviary repeatedly made the socialization of various kinds possible. At times birds of prey lived tohether herewith hyenas.  However, the economic situation in Germany had an impact in the following years more and more on the fate of the zoo from what even culminated in a closure during the winter 1922/23, because not enough money for heating materials were available. The enormous government debt in consequence of the war led by its end to a radical devaluation. So the sum of the salaries paid was incredible 2 trillion mark in 1923. Only after the introduction of the German pension Mark as the new currency in late 1923, the scenery changed. The construction activities started in 1924 with the construction of the enclosure for sun bears at the back of the rock enclosure. This enclosure was first used entirely without fences. Also from this year comes the still existing enclosure for rhesus monkeys (next to the petting zoo). The young orangutan " Buschi " since 1927 was the first animal of its kind , which could be raised to sexual maturity in a zoo. This brought the Dresden Zoo international fame and recognition. The Great Depression 1929-1933 meant for the zoo once again a poor time . Visitor numbers fell continually , which meant significant losses. In particular, with the rise of the Nazis in 1933 reached a low point in the statistics. In periods of political unrest, a zoo visit did not seem to be on the agenda of the Dresdner. On 30 January 1934 finally had to Prof. Brandes sign the bankruptcy of the corporation and steped back a day later as director of the zoo . Interestingly, the bankruptcy did not come about through a classic over-indebtedness, as evidenced by records of fire. Possessions worth 2 million marks were merely liabilities in the amount of 250,000 mark against, but by a lack of cash to bridge the weak sales in the winter months. As the share club had used up all his financial reserves due to the global economic crisis, were, as in previous years, loans necessary. However, in this case the already promised support of the city administration never came and the municipal savings bank also presented outstanding mortgage rates and repayments due. It was impossible for the zoo to meet these demands. The city of Dresden took over after the bankruptcy of the entire ownership of the stock association for 400,000 marks, Prof. Brandes was even forbidden to enter the zoo.  After the location of the zoo under the operating for seven months as acting director Hellmuth Buck had worsened despite increasing numbers of visitors, the Office of the Director on 15th October 1934 was given to Dr. Krumbiegel. The reputation of zoos in the public had suffered considerably. From bad structural conditions and even rat infestations in the press was on speech. Under Dr. Krumbiegel Although some construction took place, such as the construction of an elephant bath (torn down 2001), but was released the director again in the summer of 1936. His successor was from April 1937 Dr. Hans Petzsch , a former student of Prof. fire. First, as " assistant " with full responsibility and from 1939 also officially acting as director, Petzsch lifted the ban for his former teacher. Brandes ' pupil and favorite animal while in office, orangutan " Buschi " recognized his "Dad " despite the intervening years at the first visit at once and greeted him enthusiastically. During this time on the site was a completely new area , which still exists today as a South American enclosure, gridless outdoor enclosures in the heart of the zoo. But the epoch of Dr. Petzsch ended abruptly with his enlistment in the Army on 28 August 1939. Managing Director Karl Claus and Zooinspektor Sailer -Jackson launched from now on together the destinies. But not only the director , also about half of the male zookeeper was appointed until 1942 for the front. Forced laborers from various occupied countries were doing instead their activities. Lack of knowledge and an increasing lack of food could rise the number of deaths of the animals at this time. Also, the extreme winter 1941/42, sat on the animal population. Nevertheless, the zoo remained until 13 February 1945 opened without any noticeable restrictions. In the devastating bomb attacks on 13 and 14 February, the Dresden Zoo was completely destroyed. Few animals survived flames and debris flood. In the days after the attacks was tried by the remaining staff to Karl Claus to accommodate the remaining livestock in haste at the Leipzig Zoo. But Leipzig , the zoo had been willing at first to a recording, had become target of bombing attacks. Finally, the project met a command of the Gauleiter Mutschmann, which ruled to continue the operation of the zoo reduced extent. Another attack on 17 April prepared these unrealistic plans, however, came to an abrupt end . Of the original 120 animals , which had been provided for an eventual transport to Leipzig, survived only about a dozen. On the 8th May 1945, the Red Army occupied the city center of Dresden. The number of animals to the end of the war were only a few rhesus monkeys, a camel, a pony, a porcupine and a turtle. Once it had been the 3000. 95 percent of the zoo grounds were completely destroyed, parts of it also flooded by blocked Kaitzbach . The once magnificent trees had been decimated dramatically by the firestorm. No one could predict more if the final end of the Dresden Zoo was sealed after this dramatic inventory. Given the situation in the ruins of Dresden after the end of World War II was hard to think of leisure activities for the residents. But the Dresdner had, despite his own plight is not forgotten their zoo and campaigned for its return. Already in November 1945 was issued by the city council, the decision to build the area again. Director of this venture was again Karl Claus. Especially the areas around the former elephant house, which had survived the bombing without burning out, were prepared provisionally in the following months. Bomb crater had filled countless grid and huts repaired or rebuilt, the flooded areas had to be drained. On 9 June 1946, only 16 months after the total devastation, the Dresden Zoo opened its doors again for its visitors. The number of animals was initially manageable, consisted of deer, buffalo, foxes, dogs, horses, a porcupine and turtles. But at least came up with Lioness " Dresda " as a gift to the Leipzig Zoo, a new attraction in the Dresden Zoo. She moved, as all heat- loving species, in the only heated building, the Elephant House. Until 1950, the Antelope House and entrance area were rebuilt, the animal population has grown continuously. There were setbacks, especially in the first years of a new beginning. There was a lack mainly of heating materials, but also enough food was scarse, especially meat. The debate about a relocation of the zoo began after the reopening in 1946. Already since 1914, there were various expansion plans. The usable was in the big garden area of ​​12.8 hectares and is considered too small for fundamental changes. For comparison, in terms of area 's biggest zoo, the " San Diego Wild Animal Park " in the United States extends over 700 hectares, so 55 times more as its counterpart on the Elbe. It is interesting that the present plans from 1946 for an extension to gigantic 240 ha. Today's zoo in Leipzig (26 ha) and Hanover (22 ha) would be against this project dwarfs. A suitable site was provided in the Dresdner Heide. However, it touched soon voices against this enormous task. First and foremost, the move for the destroyed Dresden would have been financially hardly feasible. Zoo director Claus also spoke out against an implementation. In the fall of 1950, however, he was relieved of his position . Successor was the young college graduate Wolfgang Ullrich. The 27 -year-old had actually applied for an assistant position , but was made ​​by the Mayor surprising director. Until his untimely death in 1973, Ullrich shaped the face of the Dresden zoo instrumental and obtained as a zoologist and television presenter on regional notoriety. Already in the first years under the new head at the same time many new and attractive species were purchased, especially big cats, giraffes, zebras, a rhino, chimpanzees, sea lions and the Asian elephant "Carla". Their arrival in Dresden in 1951, came to the festival , as thousands lined Dresdner their walk from train station through the ruined streets of the city until the Great Garden .  Also, structural changes were now visible. 1952 was ready for the temporary aquarium, the carnivore house has been refurbished in stages over a period of ten years from 1953. The eastern part of the zoo not been used since the destruction, could now be used for the exhibition of animals. The primate house in 1967 was the first complete construction of a new animal shelter after the war. The exhibition of monkeys with their parade ended only in 2010 here in the new Prof. Brandes House, the demolition took place in 2011. All these activities had a positive impact on the attraction of the zoo. In the year 1956 873.000 visitors passed through the gates at today Tiergartenstraße. The location seemed more than ever secured, especially since the city council a year later abandoned plans for a move to the Dresdner Heide. Despite the positive news, the 50s were for the Dresden Zoo, a time of constant economic problems. While there were urgently needed for the establishment and development of substantial financial resources, the grants were always limited by the city. The visitors funds were also taken up only of minor importance, as admission fees for cultural institutions in the GDR were always more of a symbolic nature. Thus, the development of the zoo was sporadic and often temporary. This changed with views of the 100 - year anniversary in 1961. So the old pheasantry was finally replaced by a masonry construction and the first orangutans throughout the GDR, as well as colobus monkeys, to date, the heraldic animals of the Dresden zoo could be purchased. Still other animals came as a gift to the approaching anniversary, for example, male gorilla " Benno ".  Despite the great popularity by visitors, Prof. Dr. Ullrich was not tired of pointing to the significant structural deficiencies of the zoo. Whole homes were now not be used or only some, the road system was urgently in need of renovation and also fundamental issues such as the food and beverage services to the visitors were in disorder. Ullrich himself laid in 1962 on a major redesign of the zoo, which was never realized. The highlight of his designs was a four-story rainforest home. The city of Dresden in 1968 called own ideas competition for the Zoos development to life and even bought three of the submitted designs. But none of it has been implemented, which could be attributed to the estimated cost of 80 million marks in the first place. 1962 the orangutans breed for the first time in East Germany. Another great success this time was a little off the immediate zoological activities, the foundation of the education department in 1969, whose lessons were held in biology in the foyer of the primate house. The Penguin enclosure, opened in 1971, was the last newly created area of the zoo directed by Wolfgang Ullrich. The popular director died after a long illness in 1973 at the age of only 50 years. Ullrich's successor was his former deputy Gotthart Berger. There were known issues with an urgent need of rehabilitating the buildings. Several facilities no longer met the current standards of animal welfare. But the tense situation of public finances did not allow for extraordinary grants. Rather, the zoo suffered even more cuts in this regard. As new buildings in the next decade were only a new function and social building (1979) and the cheetah House ( 1981) to book.  The best example of the critical situation of the Dresden Zoo was repeatedly postponed construction of a new apes station. Originally planned for 1978 , it took until 1985 until the orangutans finally were able to move inside a new property. In 1982, the Directorate of the zoo threatened to quit the attitude of the orang- utans, the support from the town hall should not be granted accordingly. For a zoo like Dresden it would be a declaration of bankruptcy. The diseased God Hartberger gave rise in 1984 to retire and Dr. Hans -Dieter Hohmann became his successor. A first of Hohmann's profile public official act was the opening of the long awaited apes house. Meanwhile, since essentially hardly modified interior it still is the home of the orangutans. By the end of the GDR time remained a major lack of investments in animal housing and infrastructure of the Dresden Zoo. Many of the temporaries from the period under Prof. Ullrich still stood  in 1989. The construction works were hardly the most urgently required repairs beyond . The re- emerging plans an expansion to 16 ha disappeared forever in the drawer, after the city council in 1988 objected. But the people of Dresden held her despite all the criticisms loyalty to the Zoo.  Under the new political and economic environment, the chances of the Dresden zoo changed comprehensively. Director Hohmann was now for the first time publicly express his opinion on the state of the area. He spoke of unacceptable conditions for livestock. And the financial resources of the city of Dresden had not changed abruptly. Visitors to the zoo, however, had to pay a triple entrance fee of 3 marks from April 1990. At the end of the year, 370,000 people had crossed the goal less than last year. Especially after the introduction of the D-Mark in July the guests had failed abruptly. Since many formerly state-owned enterprises, which had previously supported the zoo, now fought itself to survive and there for was unable to suport. Only through additional subsidies from the city's main rehabilitating work could be complete, particularly the installation of a central heating supply. Director Hohmann announced the end of the year surprise for his resignation. Following an interim solution with the previous Deputy Director Dr. Schneider took over from the 2nd January 1992 Dr. Hubert Lücker the management of the zoo. Among its main tasks included the complete remodeling of the zoo and the transformation of urban company into a GmbH. New zoological priorities were set. For insight into the actual state of the zoo could be reached by a comprehensive test of " Stiftung Warentest " in 1992. Dresden received the overall rating of "4" , with a grade of "5" for apes and big cats dwellings. The concept for the renovation and expansion of the Zoological Gardens was finally confirmed by the City Council in 1993. Investments for the years up to 2006 have been estimated in the amount of DM 60 million, a third of them by conveyor. The Friends of newly founded "Zoofreunde Dresden eV" played an important role since 1992. First building was the flight aviary for macaws in 1993. In the same year the houses were handed over for Batengs and takins. 1994 followed beside many smaller enclosures, the Ibis-winter house as the first major project of the Zoofreunde eV and the new Antelope enclosures. In 1995 , inter alia, the outdoor enclosure was opened for the orangutans. The core of the redesign but remained the New Africa House, including the entrance area. The corresponding architectural competition was launched in 1994. Also an extension of the zoo in the area of ​​today's visitor parking lot by means of a pedestrian bridge has since been considered, but did not materialize. When the building of the largest single project in the history of the zoo until the opening in 1999, work concentrated with a few exceptions to this range. In the fall of 1997, yet the "Zoo under the earth " was opened . Meanwhile, the conversion to a non-profit ( gGmbH ) was complete. Since November 1996, the zoo is an independent company in the 100 -percent owned by the city of Dresden. In January 1999, the Africa House opens in the presence of numerous guests of honor and of 4,000 visitors. As a combination of animal house, entrance area and the restaurant is far largely unchanged complex for the comprehensive renewal towards a "new" Dresden Zoo. The floor area is 2,680 m², making the Africa House is the largest building in the Dresden Zoo. With the new arrivals "Sawu" and "Mowgli" now lived four elephants at the zoo. Also, mandrills and naked mole rats found a new home here. In the auditorium upstairs, the traditional zoo school moved into beautiful spaces. The Africa House, with 14 million DM, the largest investment in the history of the zoo, was from the first day to the central attraction. But in 1999 yet another major project was implemented, the tundra area with walk-in bird aviary aviary for snowy owls and arctic foxes. The plans for new enclosures are underway. By the end of 2000 80 % of the total area were rehabilitated.  After a nationwide competition in 2003  Karl-Heinz Ukena took ove. His debut was not easy, because the tight budgetary situation of the city of Dresden was an implementation of the restructuring plans in this period hardly makable. The same could be said about an urgent need for remediation at several buildings, such as the big cats, the Aquarium and also the new African house. In 2006 the first elephant "Thabo Umasai" was born. The same year the elephant enclosure was enlarged and it got a pool. In June, the newly designed enclosure for Humboldt penguins was handed over with glass panes in the eastern part of the zoo. In November , finally, the construction of the much- anticipated new lion enclosure began. With the sale of municipal housing association " Woba " and thus saved the city finance a restructuring plan for the zoo was adopted in May 2007, finally, which provided up to 2010, annual investment of 4 million euros. The 2.8 million-euro lions and caracal enclosure was finished in August, bringing the lions "Layla" and "Iago" that were able to move into their new home. In the penguin facility now a modern filtration mashine had gone into operation, allowing the wonderful observations of the underwater scenery. With the inauguration of the new giraffe house in 2008 these animals could bee seen again after 24 years. The zebras also live in this enclosure. Many sites dominated in the first half of 2009 the picture. The ring-tailed lemur island and the future showpiece that Prof. Brand house were in the formation, the popular Zookasper got time for Easter his new theater house.  In addition, Dresden has since 2009 finally a couple Red pandas and for the first time in his Zoo Story ball armadillos. As the 2nd July 2010, the opening ribbon was cut on the new Prof. Brandes House, the Zoo Dresden had received a new main attraction. The building, which cost 7.8 million dissolved the House from Africa as the largest single investment and was now home to primates, sloths and exotic birds. Not to mention, pulled Veteran "Max" , the 4.50 m long saltwater crocodile, finally in a modern and spacious home. In 2012 meerkat, rock hyrax's and dikdiks get new enclosures and the nilgai and the hog deer got a new house. 2013 the lesser panda get a new home and for the first time in the zoohistory koalas and gold takins.
Map 2012 Map 2015 Map 2020
After paying the entrance fee we meet African Elephants, Mandrills and naked mole rat. Out side of the entrance building we se to the left the elephant enclosure followed by the lion enclosure. In front we meet the ring-tailed lemur and the banded mongoose. At the caracal we turn right to enter the terrarium with reptiles and fish. Out side  we have an African savannah weith giraffes and zebras. Inside the giraffe house are some as well. To the right we meet the lesser panda and the Dhole. Behind them its time to see takins, asian mountain goats and the milu. Next are the kangaroos and donkeys. Across we then meet the giant tortoise and opposite the arctic fox. Then its time to meet ibis'es, birds of prey, burrowing parrots and water fowl, as well as as European passerines. To the right we meet the orangutan, befor we walk back to the flamingos. Opposite we find nilgai and hog deer and next to the orangutan the Siberian weasel. To the leftt we find the snowleopard and on the right we then enter the Prof. Brandes house. Inside you meet monkeys like the wanderu, koalas, sloths, tamanduas, saltwater crocodiles and Java mouse-deer. The wanderu,  woolly and colobus monkeys have out-door enclosures. Passing the snow leopards once more we reacht the penguin enclosure. Turning right we meet the cheetah, bantengs, Ankole-Watussi, African forest buffalo, parma wallaby¨and ponies. In front of us we now see the meerkat and rock hyrax enclosures. To the right is the "zoo beneath the ground" home to mice and rats. Behind it we find the Bactrian camels. Then going to the petting zoo, which kids will love, we meet the kirk's dikdik and a bit later macaws. To the right we then meet he nyala and ostriches. Next is a South American pampas with Darwin's rhea and vicugnas. Heading for the exit we are going to see the coaties.


DE: Dieser Zoo ist der 4 ältest von Deutschland. Er zeigt seltenheiten wie den Koala, goldtakine und Leistenkrokodile

DK: Dette er Tysklands 4. ældste zoo. Den viser sjældenhedder som koalaer, guldtakiner og deltakrokodiller
woaqzo@yahoo.com
Lav din egen hjemmeside med mono.net