Zoo Frankfurt


City: Frankfurt am Main

Country: Germany

State: Hesse


Opend 1858


Species 500

Beeing the second oldest zoo in Germany and the first beeing build for the people by the people it has had a long history to look back on. The zoo once build in the city center and the moved to the modern site, where the city has grown arround it, making it a downtown zoo that cant extend. Even though these historical opsticals it is a great zoo, having a large ape group, and showing rareties like the klippspringer, okapi and buru babirusa

Vis stort kort
Last visit 2019

Zoologischer Garten Frankfurt
Bernhard-Grzimek-Allee 1
D - 60316 Frankfurt am Main



Phone nr 069-21233735

Open minimum 9am-5pm



Entrance fee

  • Adult 12,- Euro
  • Child 6,- Euro
  • Familly* 29,- Euro
*Famillytickets are valid for 2 adults and up to 4 children 

Annual Card
  • Adult 60 Euro
  • Child 25 Euro
  • Familly* 90 Euro
*Famillycards are valid for 2 adults and up to 4 children 

Annual card for Frankfurt and Opel zoo
  • Adult 84 Euro
  • Child 36 Euro

Children will love to pet goats or ride camels and ponys. The zoo also has a large playground


When, why or by whom the idea arose to establish a zoological garden in the Free Imperial City of Frankfurt am Main, is not known. An initial news release appeared to 1853. Four years deliberating and planning citizens of Frankfurt until 1857 and a provisional committee consisting of eight Frankfurt citizens approached with a " memorandum on the establishment of a zoological garden in Frankfurt" to the public. This is can be seen that the zoo should first be tentatively operated for ten years in a rented garden. If successful, a permanent zoological garden would be set up on a purchased or long term leased area. In its planning, one would draw on the experience of trial operation. This later titled as trial zoo first zoo was located on a large garden plot in Bockenheim, the Leers'schen garden. In the memorandum can further be seen that the zoo would connect the desire for education with the equally necessary recovery. Another advantage is Zoological Gardens that "it can be accessible to all classes of the audience, and especially on Sunday afternoons, prices can be set so that the garden also offers families who have only those afternoons free, a cheap recovery." (Quote from the memorandum).  As should carnivores not be held, the audit of the Police Department was positive. On 8th October 1857, the Senate approved a share issue to finance a zoological garden, which should contribute a share capital of 50,000 guilders. On 7 March 1858 was held the first general meeting of the Zoological Society. At this time, shares worth 80,000 guilders were already drawn, so the Zoological Society decided to increase the share capital of 100,000 florins. To the zoo director taxidermist Franz Leven was appointed. Before the opening of extensive renovation work in the garden Leers'schen were needed to show the animals adequately and safely. Although the animals only had to be purchased yet , the zoo first opened on 8th August 1858. From the outset, the Zoological Society put much emphasis on education, which is why they hired a Scientific Secretary, Dr. DF Weinland, on whose instigation in 1860 both monthly " Der Zoologische Garten " and a zoo guide appeared regularly. In addition, he has lectured and set up a library.  Already the opening ceremony, visitors were able to admire animals from all continents, with next to mammals and birds to reptiles, amphibians and even fish have been shown. The animals were housed, "according to their kind" as the company had already announced in the memorandum. Already in the planning those responsible had decided to dispense with lions and other carnivores (meat eaters), as they appeared to the then-common caging "undeserving". However, the placement of bears in bear kennels and of wolves in wolf pits was considered appropriate attitude, so this included from the beginning that these animals were kept. The influx of visitors and the general interest at the Zoological Garden, which showed, for example, in animal gifts, far exceeding the expectations of Zoo founders - but also operating costs. Beginning in 1859 joined the Zoological Society with the Frankfurt veterinarian Dr. Max Schmidt a contract to ensure medical care for the animals. To expand his knowledge surviving exotic animals , Dr. Schmidt went with the approval and support of the Zoological Society on a long journey to the Zoological Gardens to Belgium, Holland and England, where he negotiated among other things, animal purchases and regularly filed a report. When the Board of Directors in September 1859 to decided to separate from Leven, Dr. Max Schmidt became the new zoo director. Not least, it is thanks to him that from the trial zoo a permanent developt. Under Dr. Max Schmidt the attitude already emerged as early as this transitional zoo remarkable new buildings such as the Moorish house, a house for wintering ungulates in 1861. From 1861 onwards, eventually lions were added to the zoo animals. A Mayor of Cairo had offered to the zoo a lion as a gift, which is why the Zoological Society caught up with the appropriate attitude approval. To the lions accommodate befitting, was the reconstruction of the middle cage of birds of prey facility in to a lions cage. 1862 reached the first giraffe Frankfurt Zoo and the first elephant named BETHSY arrived 1863. Already at the opening there was an aquarium in the monkey house, but the salt-water aquaria was just beginning as early as 1861, the Zoological Garden Frankfurt involved initially behind the scenes in the experiments. It was only when it was possible to obtain the sensitive marine animals alive longer time, pulled the seawater aquarium into the visitor area of ​​the Moorish house. Long before the expiry of the lease, it became clear that a zoological garden in Frankfurt could be permanently. Therefore, early on took the Zoological Society with the Senate of the Free City of Frankfurt to contact to buy a plot of land, were permanently a zoological garden could be operated on or to lease long term. 1865 was between the Senate of the Free City of Frankfurt and the Zoological Society to a contract. Only a year later broke out a short war between Prussia and Austria, in which Frankfurt was annexed by Prussia and lost its independence. The previous city government was dissolved and established a new, with whom the new negotiationshad to be done. But the war had harmed financially Zoological Society and many Zoo friends. Both were not good conditions for the planned restart. After all, succeeded in 1867 to extend the lease for five years. It was not until 1873 that the lease ran out again and could not be extended, it came to an agreement on a new zoo ground on the Pfingstweide east of the city - by the way the same site, to which the Senate of the then Free Imperial City of Frankfurt and the Board of Directors of Zoological society in 1865 had agreed . Despite all efforts succeeded in the short time not to set up the new zoo area ready for occupancy by the end of 1873, so the Städel'sche institute admitted even a quarter of a year for the removal. While in the garden Leers'schen able to draw on existing buildings and a garden in the grounds of the zoo, for the new zoo on the Pfingstweide only a garden could be planned. Two location requirements were necessary to take into account in the planning process: 1 The Zoological Society had undertaken to build a representative society house, that should constitute the completion of a boulevard from downtown to the zoo. From the terrace on the back of a particularly impressive view to the zoo should be possible; 2 There was only one fountain with sufficient water to its use and distribution of an engine house and a water tower were required . Both were within sight of the society house, so that a solution had to be found to avoid the gaze of this utilitarian Zoo visitors. The tastes and the desire for an aquarium formed the approach to the problem. To even be able to keep marine animals had in the individual aquaria prevail constant temperatures, which could only be achieved through good insulation. Therefor a should aquarium building should arise quariums with very thick walls. The times taste asked for a landscape garden with a pond adjoining mountain. The Aquarium building and the ponds were built between nacelle and Society House, where the excavation for the pond covered the aquarium building, thus forming a mountain. The need for the distribution of water build water tower was in the shape of a castle ruins and placed it so that it covered the chimney of the engine house. The lease for the Leers'schen garden expired in 1873, so that construction of the zoo was under enormous time pressure. The high cost of building materials and the foregoing by the two wars (1866 Prussia/Austria and 1870/71 Germany/France) as well as the extended lease (as a result of the War of 1866) parlous financial state of the Zoological Society led to a strange from today's point of view decision: fences, lattice work and erected by the Zoological Society building in Leers'schen garden were canceled there and built on the new zoo grounds again - partly in another form, in order to improve the livestock according to experiences gained . Also during this relocation and reconstruction phase, it was necessary to meet the needs of the animals largely equitably and protecting them by means of temporary shelter against the weather. On 9th February 1874 began the procession of nearly 1,200 animals. As first zoo animal a pelican entered his new home. As a last moved on 9th April 1874 a yak bull. The official opening of the Zoological Gardens on Pfingstweide was made ​​on 29th March 1874, although at this time not all the buildings were completed. So the lion house opened on 23rd May 1874 and the monkey house on 6th Juli 1874. For the society building only the foundation stone was laid. The aquarium hall was indeed built for structural reasons, but the actual setup of the aquarium could not be performed first. On 16th December 1876 the grand opening was held of the society house. Up to this date there was a makeshift restaurant with adjoining music pavilion in which ​​twice daily a orchestra played for additional entertainment . The last house, the aquarium was opened on 16th July 1877, which is already was provided in the planning, but for cost reasons, could not at first be realized. Several board members of the Zoological Society eventually funded before construction. In order to repay the loan was raised separate entrance to the Aquarium, and season ticket holders and shareholders had to pay. Even after the repayment it remained special ticket because the aquarium in the operation turned out to be very expensive, but remained opened after the zoo grounds were closed. It was only in the 1990s , both the extended opening times as well as the Special admission were abolished. Then there was for many years no major new buildings or changes in livestock, which was mainly due to the still scarce financial resources. Worth mentioning, however, is the establishment of a enclosure with grave possibilities for prairie dogs under zoo director Dr. Ludwig Wunderlich, neither well received by the audience nor even in the professional world, as the prairie dogs were no longer constantly to see.From 1888, the Zoophilosophie changed: While the zoo directors, Dr. Max Schmidt and Dr. Ludwig Wunderlich accordance with the objectives formulated in the memorandum of 1858 sought, the animals according to their needs to keep and breed, zoo director Dr. Wilhelm Haake found it more important to show the zoo visitors a complete overview of all possible forms of life. Although the financial leeway left still no major changes to, but slightly improved the financial framework, so that renovations could be used for rebuildings. Particularly clearly the changed objective used the example of the monkey house, whose original three interior rooms was connected with openings, to gain space for the installation of a second row of cages. Also plantations were abandoned in favor of new cages, such as the high plant bed between carnivor and the monkey house, a small mammal Rondell arose in its place. The housed there tropical small mammals wintered in the second row of cages in the monkey house. During the summer months, when the monkeys were staying in the outdoor cages and tropical small mammals in small mammals Rondell, found a reptile show in the interiors of the monkey house space. 1891 an Electrical Exhibition was held in Frankfurt am Main, that was acquired after the issuance of the Zoological Society and opened in 1892 as a bird house as drawing hall serving construction . One half of the aviary outlets received and was occupied with ostrich birds in the other was a collection of native birds consisting of 229 individuals in 87 kinds of place. Although Dr. Haacke took care including through the elimination of sleeping boxes, the animals were getting to see his collections were not well received by the zoo visitors. Also the next zoo director, Prof. Dr. Adalbert Seitz, was a collector, with him the different expectations of zoologists and zoo visitors to zoos were aware. In order to sustain the interest of the visitors, he laid emphasis on attractive show animals and improved signage. Especially with three bodies, his name is permanently connected: The small mammal house was designed for purely functional purposes and consisted both inside and outside of two rows of cages, each 1x1x1 meters. The individual cages could be both enlarged laterally and in height, by the removal of partitions as required. After its destruction in the Second World War it was initially repaired again and first demolished in 1971.  New standards in reptiles keeping prevailed in 1904, the reptile hall was built on the roof of the aquarium, because until then the zoo showed reptiles in the relatively dark interiors of the monkey house. The new reptile hall allowed due to its greenhouse construction to suspend the reptiles of the sun, heaters ensured in case of need for additional heat. Also, which also opened in 1904, the insect house was a novelty, because it next live insects showed preparations and display boards informed about the complex lives of insects. Even after the discontinuation of the insect house visitors of the zoo could see insects: first as insects show in the German bird house, where a pest department was affiliated with counseling and since 1957 in exotarium that emerged after the Second World War. The young zoologist Dr. Kurt Priemel, who started as an assistant in the Frankfurt Zoo in 1907 and a year later the zoo director was looking for a compromise between visitor education through the fullest possible animal collections and adapted to the needs of the animals animal husbandry. Wherever it seemed possible spatially and financially, nature returned back to the enclosures, animals were kept individually according to their natural way of life, kept in pairs or in groups. Also in the socialization of different animal species they listened carefully now that these fit together. In addition, Dr. Priemel laid emphasis on personal terms of the keepers of the animals, by which these were relatively tame and could be shown outside the animal housing. Because had long since shown that the zoo area was much too small, came on 1908 reflections to a renewed move of the zoo, but the first could not be traced. The financial situation had worsened again and the improvement was not in sight. Quite the contrary! It was before a war , to which many men volunteered. But not only the staff was scarce, even raw materials and foodstuffs were getting harder to get. Despite the utmost frugality and voluntary work - especially by the members of the Zoological Society - could no longer be mastered intensified by the First World War financial problems. On 25 January 1915 asked the Zoological Society, the city government to take over the zoo to run it for the population. Already in the previous years, the city administration had repeatedly Zoological Society stood financially to the preservation of the Zoological Gardens, and had thus become the actual owner of land and movable property. After a brief examination, the city council decided to submit an appropriate magistrate lecture on 15 June 1915 to take over the zoo as a municipal institution. The Zoological Society was officially dissolved as a logical consequence. The change in the form of operation did not change the dramatic situation of the Zoological Gardens: Many keepers volunteered for military service, as a result of the First World War there was material and food shortages that persisted long after the war. But the person in charge, it always succeeded , special to offer visitors and become the responsibility as a training center. So a pest exhibition was affiliated with daily pest advice of insects show. Small animal and poultry farms emerged, which served both the education and self-sufficiency. The flowerbeds evaded fields for growing vegetables and fodder crops. Despite all these measures could not be prevented until 1918 died two thirds of the original animal population from hunger and infectious diseases. It was not until 1924, the situation in Germany stabilized, a new beginning could be tackled in the zoo. The adjustment contract with an animal dealer led to the return of attractive animals. Concerts and special events lived scratch. In order to apply this better was issued a monthly Zoo news-papers that could be maintained with two interruptions and name changes until 1941. From 1926 there was mineral water treatments, in which 40 were medicinal waters to choose from. 1927 was even added a diary treatments. During this time, the objectives of the zoo changed: In addition to the recreation and natural history education now came increasingly to the conservation and preservation of endangered species as important tasks added. This was reflected in the selection of animal species kept and the desire to rebuild interesting breeding groups that were housed in as close to nature and according to the needs of animals furnished cages. In this context, the already -mentioned office hours by Gustav Lederer in the pest department of the insect house can be seen. An important medium of education was the visitors monthly Zoo news-paper. In almost every issue to find appropriate items. Special attention in this context deserves the effort of the Frankfurt zoo director Dr. Kurt Priemel to the preservation of the European bison. He founded the " International Society for the Conservation of the European bison " and thus initiated the first international cooperation for Zoological Gardens for endangered animals in the wild. The new objectives of the zoo animal husbandry were the close relationships are even more obvious. Although a number of animal houses were renovated in the mid- 1920s, some no longer modern animal facilities such as the parrot-boulevard was abandoned. A basic conversion according to the new zoo standards - high visibility installations instead of cages - and the new objectives failed to materialize because, due to the limited space the discussions about a shift of the Zoological Gardens to the outskirts flared up again. As long as no decision was made about it, the most necessary conservation measures could only be tackled. This wait and see, as reasonable as it was in financial terms also disabled the zoo in its development. This meant that it ever fell in international comparison. Contrary to the advice of experts early in 1937 decided only when Mayor Dr. Krebs that the zoo remain on its site, and should be a major overhaul within three years, could begin major re-measures. In the same year began renovating ungulate house, the bird house, in the rotunda and in the interiors of the carnivor house, and it does not last concern was to find more space for the animals kept. The elephants were given a new outdoor facility that could be completed in 1938. Also in 1938 made ​​modifications in the bird of prey aviaries. In 1939 the seal enclosure with a 30 meter long main and two smaller side pools. The old seal enclosure had only possessed a diameter of 10 meters. Clearly, the desire to offer the animals more space, also the example of the deer facility, after its renovation instead of twelve narrow single enclosure four individual enclosures were available and the wide trench was replaced by a half- trench with a one meter high fence. Zoo Director Dr. Georg Steinbacher's zoological focus on the activities of birds, so he put his focus on changes in aviculture. The birds should be presented so that they are the visitors tied their powerful colors, which would require that the birds were constantly to be seen well. To allow that he could be removed cages and similar facilities, which also facilitated the work in the bird cages. The beginning of World War II slowed the new development. Almost all male Zoo employees, even zoo director Dr. Steinbacher, had to go to the front. 1943 began the bombing of Frankfurt. The zoo keepers living near the zoo rushed in bomb scare to take care of the animals immediately if the need arose. A small bunker at the pond offered them protection. The first bombs hit the zoo on 4/5 October and 20-21. December 1943, by the presence of the keepers the fires could be deleted, distraught errant animals captured and calmed down. On March 1944, the zoo met the crushing blow: 27 bombings destroyed nearly all the buildings, and countless animals died or wandered through the city - including lions that had to be killed for the safety of the public. The zoo was not closed and in July 1944, the till-stations were reoccupied. Almost the last hour would have beaten for the Frankfurt Zoo in the last days of the war: the arrival of the American forces in March 1945 was preceded by an eviction order, which was followed by many zoo keepers and employees of the city government. In charge of the zoo and Palm Garden bailiff Fritz Acker received the telephone message that the remaining animals are to kill, but he refused to approve this measure and asked to recall by the Zooinspektor Gustav Lederer. This immediately agreed to stay three older unnamed keepers joined him. Acker succeeded in, to move the Frankfurt peasantry to continue to provide the zoo with food and thus ensure the survival of the zoo. But all the courage and willingness for personal sacrifice would be in vain without the initiative and perseverance of the legendary later Director Prof. Dr. Dr. Bernhard Grzimek. Shortly after the arrival of the American forces at the Frankfurt publisher William Hollbach was sworn in as acting mayor and commissioned to rebuild a new city administration. This sought bailiff on the field and asked him to help him in this task, sat next to him Hollbach some well-known journalists. Of those was also Prof. Dr. Bernhard Grzimek, who had worked before the war full-time in Berlin Ministry of Agriculture/Ministry of Food. Thanks to his management experience, acquired in America of English language skills and negotiation skills to Grzimek variety of relationships built up, which he eventually used to to get the responsibility for the zoo. On 1 May 1945 he was appointed director of the zoo, but initially did not receive permission to reopen the zoo. Nevertheless, he printed posters at the Zoo 1 July, re-opened and held a promotional move through the destroyed city. The American military government then visited the zoo and the city administration gave approval to reopen. Although it was one of the requirements to operate the zoo without urban middle, it was, at least for the moment, saved. With the reopening of the first hurdle was taken, but fore the zoo staff there still was a lot of work . Not only were clearing away the debris, at the latest until winter had to be restored as far as the buildings that they gave the animals a safe place to stay, had to be constructed for other emegency stables - and alone from the rubble. The Zoological Garden Frankfurt was literally new from debris and rubble was the first free location in Frankfurt. But also for the needs of visitors had to be urgently taken care of, so there was initially not even a toilet. A restaurant could be set up at relatively short notice in the basement of society house. There is also a hall that was built as a refugee residence. For the creation of such facilities construction materials could be purchased. Because Grzimek was aware that it would not be possible to keep up with the few surviving animals, the interest of the visitors at the zoo awoke, he was looking for further offers. When he learned of showmen who still had their shops, he gathered them on the site, which joined the zoo and was almost completely destroyed. The running between the latter and the former zoo area road he had to lock without authorization, so that visitors to the fairground had to first attend on payment of the entrance to the zoo. Also, a circus, an event hall, the first post-war cinema and theater, he moved on to the zoo grounds. With the approval of official bodies surviving zoo and circus animals could be brought from all parts of Germany to the zoo. The only problem: Grzimek got it, no vehicles or gasoline rations, so that journeys were to look for any animal transport. But these were by far not the only difficult postwar years: debris formed long time the only available building material. Another problem was the lack of money, public funds could not obtain the Frankfurt Zoo, the population too suffered from the consequences of war. Despite this limitation could be put into operation thanks to many donations and the hard work of Zoo friends on to the currency reform, 26 enclosures and animal houses could be rebuild. The importance of the Zoological Gardens for the newly emerging city must have been indescribable. In many meetings, the city council dealt with its reconstruction. Already in 1946 made ​​his first enlargement plans, even the discussion of a removement flared scratch. Initially it was planned to enlarge the zoo to the Wittelsbacherallee, the Alleenring and Rhönstraße. Ultimately, however, only succeeded , the zoo to expand around three hectares of land, the Grzimek had slammed right after the war by the unauthorized road closure the zoo. 1947 said the provincial government to the zoo another property outside the originally planned extension to the site on which since then is the farmyard. Properly ride took on the reconstruction after the currency reform. Now came a series of real new buildings, where new findings could be implemented. This mainly concerned the health of the animals shown - many pathogens and parasites had long been known, even if it still was no antidote, so you could mitigate by extreme hygiene it yet. Steel, tiles, concrete offered the best conditions. Once travel and thus the transport of animals were again possible, returned the animal traders back with their offers, what the animal procurement easier. From his trip to Africa in 1954 Grzimek brought along with many other animals, the first okapi Epulu to Germany in 1958 as a gift for the 100th anniversary of the Okapi SAFARI females followed. Only one year later, the first cub was born, many more followed. Varieties and presenting as many animal species dominated the following years. Signs informed whether or not a species was first shown or bred in, whether it was first breeds or even global first breed. A skilled advertising man and author of numerous journalistic essays knew Grzimek excellent to pique the interest of the press and its readership and to keep awake. The spread of television and especially Grzimek's television program "A Place for Animals" wild animals shows brought into the living room and sensitized the masses for the needs of the animals. Now that the people had other ways to learn about different species of animals. On the contrary the zoo visitors expected that the animals live like in nature. Again a new era for Zoological gardens began. Improved research opportunities brought more and more knowledge about the needs of the animals and the complex relationships in nature. Among other things, it was found that the space requirement in some animal species had been underestimated. That turned the Frankfurt Zoo with new problems - at its existing location , there was no more expansion options. The reduction in stock numbers was not enough to build a Zoodependance should solve the problem.  As convenient as was the downtown location and thus the good accessibility for the zoo, they still had one major drawback: The zoo could not grow any more, but the level of knowledge grew over what the animals' needed and the expectations of visitors who see the animals in their natural environment. The construction of a zoo - dependance should solve the problem. Early 70s seemed to these plans can be realized. First vivarium emerged on the edge of Ginnheimer grove in the Niddaauen, solemnly called the Niddazoo 1975 was opened. Without entering payments mainly various ungulates and birds were observed on spacious grounds . But as so often in the history of the Frankfurt Zoo it was different : Because of the orientation of the Federal Garden Show of Niddazoo had to give way. Instead, the external zoo should now be realized on Niederurseler slope.  In 1987 the plans for the zoo's branch were presented on Niederurseler slope, but these plans could not ultimately be realized and the intended zoo grounds was released mid-1990s for housing. All ready in 1984 the last elephant moved from the zoo though. Almost none investments were made in the downtown zoo at that time to completely restructure the downtown zoo after moving the large animals in the external zoo - actually the best approach, even if they put the Zoo management enormous problems, the Frankfurt Zoo far compared to other zoos threw back. So that opened in 1978 Grzimekhaus and the fur seal enclosure of 2000, remained the only new building until the opening of the first part of the seal rocks. It was not until the mid-90s it was decided to develop the Frankfurt Zoo at its old location. Since 2000 several new buildings were opened, starting in 2001 with the cat jungle, home to Lions, tigers, the fossa and rusty-spotted cat. 2002 the seal enclosures were renovated and 2004 the oriental small-clawed otter got a new home. 2007 a new pettingzoo opened and the following year a great ape house, home to gorillas, orangutans and the bonobo. 2013 the ukumari-land opened, home to spectacled bear and howler monkeys.
Map 2013 Map 2015 Map 2019
After paying the entrance fee we first see the society building befor turning to the left seeing the bear forest, home to spectacled bears and howler monkeys. Keeping to the left we see the cat jungle, home to Asian lions, Sumatran tiger, fossas and rusty-spotted cats.  Outside we see on the right the gibbon house with northern white-cheeked gibbon. In front of us we now have the Grzimek house, the zoos noctural house with aardvarks, kowaris, kiwis, rakalis, edchinas, slender loris and the aye-aye, to mention a few. Outside again we walk inside the exotarium. This is the zoos aquarium, terrarium and insectariun. Inside we also find the gentoo penguins. Outside its time to meet the takin and the Tammar-Wallaby. Following the path to the left we meet the kea and the Goodfellow's tree-kangaroo. Next are the African wild dogs. Acroaa is the African savannah with ostriches and the sable antelope. Then we enter the birds bush where you meet several different biotops. Its followed by Faust bird house. You begin your  journey through the jewels room, home to small colour birds, the a regular bird house section and at the end a free flying hall for Asian birds. Out side on the right we see the owl taiga with different species of European owls. The next house is the monkey house with baboons, ring-tailed lemurs, colobus monkys among others. Passing the meerkats we then enter the Borgori wood, home to the gorilla, bonobo and orangutan. On the other side we meet hippos and the black rhino. Opposite we have bird of prey aviaries. On the right we then see the cassowary and the buru babirusa. At the lake on which lawns we find bell deer we turn right, to see Chilean flamingos. Following the sounds we meet harbour seals and the Brown Fur Seal.Now its time to look at pelicans and other water fowl. On the left we thenn seee the alpaca and the Bactrian camel. At the petting zoo we turn left to see the Grevy's zebra. In front of us is now the giraffe house, home to reticulated giraffes, klippspringers and the okapi. The following antelope house is home to the bongo and the Mhorr gazelle. Heading to the exit now we see the maned wolves and a Pampas, home to the Vicuna and Darwin's rhea.

DE: Dieser Zoo ist der zweit älteste von Deutschland und ist für seine interessanten Tierhäuser bekannt, das Juwel ist wohl das Grzimek Haus, einer der besten Nachttierhäuser überhaupt. Auf dem Weg trift man u.a. auf Zwergschimpansen, Okapis und Rostkatzen

DK: Dette er tysklands anden ældste have og er mest kendt for sine interessante dyrhuse, hvor af Grrzimek huset nok er juvelen, da det er en af verdens bedste nattezooer. På vejen i haven møder man bl.a. dværgchimpanser, okapier og rustplet katte
Lav din egen hjemmeside med mono.net